(Post-Doc Researcher) *
Researcher of the Biological Sciences Research Group
· Graduation in the Integrated Master Degree in Biological Engineering, Instituto Superior Técnico, Technical University of Lisbon, Portugal, 2008
· Research training at the Molecular Cell Biology Laboratory, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium under the supervision of Professor Johan Thevelein and Dr. Beatriz Bonini
· PhD in Biotechnology, Instituto Superior Técnico, Universidade de Lisboa, 2013
· Post-doctoral fellow at the Biological Sciences Research Group, iBB - Institute for Bioengineering and Biosciences, Lisbon, Portugal, under the supervision of Professor Arsénio Fialho.
· Bacterial redox proteins as potential anti-cancer candidates
· PhD Scolarship from "Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia" (SFRH/BD/48763/2008)
Papers in international journals with referees
Fialho AM, Bernardes N, Chakrabarty AM "Exploring the anticancer potential of the bacterial protein azurin" AIMS Microbiology 2(3):292-303, 2016.
Bernardes N, Abreu S, Carvalho FA, Fernandes F, Santos NC, Fialho AM "Modulation of membrane properties of lung cancer cells by azurin enhances the sensitivity to EGFR-targeted therapy and decreased β1 integrin-mediated adhesion" Cell Cycle, 15(11):1415-24, 2016.
Chakrabarty AM, Bernardes N, Fialho AM. “Bacterial Proteins and Peptides in Cancer Therapy: Today and Tomorrow” Bioengineered, 5:4 – 3, 2014.
Bernardes N, Ribeiro AS, Abreu S, Vieira AF, Carreto L, Santos M, Seruca R, Paredes J, Fialho AM. “High-throughput molecular profiling of a P-cadherin overexpressing breast cancer model reveals new targets for the anti-cancer bacterial protein azurin” International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology, 50:1-9, 2014.
Bernardes N, Ribeiro AS, Abreu S, Mota B, Matos RG, Arraiano CM, Seruca R, Paredes J, Fialho AM. “The bacterial protein azurin impairs invasion and FAK/Src signaling in P-cadherin-overexpressing breast cancer cell models” PLoS One, 8 (7), e69023, 2013.
Bernardes N, Chakrabarty AM, Fialho AM. “Engineering of bacterial strains and their products for cancer therapy” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 97(12):5189-5199, 2013.
Mil-Homens D, Bernardes N, Fialho AM. “The antibacterial properties of docosahexaenoic omega-3 fatty acid against the Cystic Fibrosis multi-resistant pathogen Burkholderia cenocepacia” FEMS Microbiology Letters 328(1):61-9, 2012. (abstract)
Fialho AM, Bernardes N, Chakrabarty AM. ”Recent patents on live bacteria and their products as potential anticancer agents” Recent Patents on Anti-Cancer Drug Discovery 7, 31-55, 2012. (abstract)
N. Bernardes, R. Seruca, A.M. Chakrabarty, A.M. Fialho, "Microbial-based therapy of cancer: current progress and future prospects", Bioengineered Bugs 1(3), 178-190 , 2010. (abstract)
Bernardes NS, (2008) Involvement of the cAMP pathway in apoptosis in a Saccharomyces cerevisiae glucose-negative mutant. Erasmus in Molecular Cell Biology Laboratory, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium. Integrated Master Degree in Biological Engineering, Instituto Superior Técnico